Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Another Portrait?!

Underpainting
With this self portrait, I wanted to have a bit more refinement and work on my color. I've learned a lot in this second one. Big stuff I learned: 
  • Simplicity over detail. Too much detail everywhere means too many focal points. A simple brush stroke is better than 5 smaller ones. 
  • I learned about edges. Soft edges  are just as important as hard ones.
  • I learned I need to work on a likeness which means I need to have a better underdrawing... so don't rush it. 



Up close and personal.


The Critique.... It can be tough to take a hard look at one's one work, but necessary for improvement. I love getting helpful critiques from friends (most of the time), but my friends aren't always available. I guess, what I'm trying to say is cultivate the ability to critique yourself. It  is a skill that will really pay off in the long run. 


This is mostly for me. I like seeing the improvement from my first portrait to my second.... it makes me feel good. hahaha!




No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am an illustrator, bookbinder, painter, doodler, list-maker, and wife. I love food. I am what can be categorized as a dabbler. I love trying new things, but I always come back around to art and illustration. I just can't help it.